Thursday, February 02, 2006

Spider ruins plans?

Returning to Imal Camping to go to bed, Gianni, Alex & I joined Julian with a few more glasses of Bombay Sapphire & bourbon. To my relief it was agreed that Gianni would come with Julian and I to Chinguetti. Then we would all meet Alex in Nouakchott on Christmas Eve and have a French Christmas 'banquet' the night we would arrive and Alex said she would organise it all prior to our arrival, and even try to find some wine!

Pulling out our mattresses, we went to bed, to be joined by Gianni & Julian in the courtyard with theirs. Julian, it turned out, had left the restaurant early due to a fish bone stuck in his throat, shame for his meal to be marred, as the corbine was excellent. Just as I was dozing off I heard something and brushed a bug from my forehead; I fell asleep under the starry Mauritanian night.

At 5am I woke up, madly scratching just above my eyebrow and thinking that I had conjunctivitus as my eye wouldn't open. I got up in the dark and found my way to the bathroom and quietly screamed .. my eye was enormously swollen. This would ruin the plans to go on the train as Alex had been telling us how dusty it was, thoughts went through my head, if I could find over-the-counter drugs in NBD then I might be OK, but it might be safer (and more responsible - something I don't usually do) to get the first available lift north and get back to Dahkla for treatment. Amandou suddenly appeared in the kitchen, he was about to go to the mosque to the first prayers of the day, I was trying to get the gas bottle open so I could heat some water to gently bathe my eye. He looked very worried and went off to wake Alex up. Alex decided it wasn't conjunctivitus but an allergy to something. I went back to bed feeling a bit easier, touching my forehead I noticed that the skin was getting hard .. I fell asleep hoping it would all go away in the morning!

No comments: