Friday, February 03, 2006

A day back in Casablanca

Finally the train hauled into Casablanca, I was overjoyed to be back, I'd be closer to my friends Fatiya & Abderrahim and their family. I rang Fatiya immediately and said I was in town and we could meet up in the morning, but in true Fatiya style she was having none of it and asked me to wait there whilst she'd drive over and pick me up. I told my travel companion and apologised for leaving him to his own devices but said that the Hassan II mosque & the medina near La Places des Nations Unis was worth visiting and it would be a 'modern' introduction to a Moroccan town. He wasn't too concerned, and as Fatiya pulled up he was heading for the Ibis next to the station. She told me to ask him to join us into town and we'd drop him somewhere more central, he said he found a cheap hotel in his guidebook but I think he ended up at the Best Western and ended up eating in similarly western fast food places.

The following day I went out with Fatiya and one of her daughters, we (as girls do) headed for the souq and shopping ... I was very well restrained and came away fairly lightly (or rather my purse did!). I had a great day with them catching up on news before she dropped me at Casa's bus station to get a bus 'south' at 5pm or so. South was a question, whether to go to El Jadida or Safi, or to go the 'whole hog' to Tan Tan (only 18hrs!) just north of the Western Sahara border. I arrived at the bus station after several calls from my travelling companion wondering where & when to meet. Having chatted to Fatiya about my predicament (she was also given this 'card' which she was quite bemused by). I thought I'd make it easier on myself and go alone as the job of an interpreter for the trip hadn't been factored in my plans but was already becoming a little annoying from someone who had spent a month in France, in a Buddhist centre, but not even picked up the basics.

No comments: