Thursday, February 02, 2006

Nouachkott

Arriving a little wearily into Mauritania's capital, we got the driver to take us to one of two pre-arranged meeting points with Alex. Boosted by the knowledge that we were going to celebrate tonight, Christmas Eve, in style, I went down an alley to find Alex who I was hoping was in a hotel at the end of it. I left Gianni & Julian to sort out the taxi.

Alex wasn't there, they had never heard of her, coming back out I was approached by a guy who must have heard our conversation and said he knew where this French girl was .. I was a little worried about my predicament, I could make out that the taxi, Gianni & Julian were still there but I really didn't want to hang around and see what this guy really wanted. I kept walking saying don't worry about it, I know where she is and my friends are both waiting for me .. he followed.

Gianni was arguing with the driver over an extra 500UM that the driver had decided to add onto the originally Atar negoiated price, Julian was waiting beside him with his pack out of the back of the car. As usual he hadn't thought to help us with our belongings and this was becoming a bit much ... we had just had a problem at the last police post on the edge of Nouachkott where we had all got out for some fresh air. On getting back into the car, Julian had noticed some sort of clothing on the boot, after moving off he then decided to tell us that there was something there. I translated for Gianni & the teacher and asked if they had left anything .. we couldn't turn back as it would mean having to pass the police post again and all the drama that goes with it. I asked him why he hadn't picked it up, the answer was simple - it wasn't his, so he'd left it. Pointing out that when you are travelling you look after others around you didn't go down too well ... I bit my tongue and said nothing!

No comments: